Bringing light to the two founding dates of Cwmhir Abbey: 1143 & 1176 – Part I: 1143
Looking at historical events in Mid & West Wales around 1143 brings up many questions we might usefully try to answer:
1. Did the apparent uncertainty of the founding of our mother house, Whitland, effect the founding of Cwmhir in 1143 or was it more driven from Clairvaux?
2. What was the influence of the Normans? Why did they introduce a Burgundian monastic order?
3. What was the influence of the family of Rhys ap Tewdwr? Gruffyd ap Rhys and Rhys ap Gruffydd (The later Lord Rhys) gaining power and later dominance in Deheubarth.
4. Cadwallon ap Madog was active in Maelienydd from 1140. What was going on there?
5. Cadwallon was married to Efa, the daughter of the ruler of Powys - what effects did that have?